God the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ has freed you from sin,
given you a new birth by water and the Holy Spirit, and welcomed you into his holy people.
He now anoints you with the chrism of salvation. As we anoint Priest, Prophet and King,
so may you always live as a member of his body, sharing everlasting life. (Rite of Baptism)
When is Baptism celebrated?
For infants or very young children
Baptism is celebrated during the weekend liturgies.
Please call the parish office to schedule your child’s Baptism.
Please come in and pick up an application at the parish office
at least one month prior to your child’s baptism.
For Adults and Older Children
Adults and Non-Catholic children beyond the
age of reason enter the church through the
formation process known as RCIA or RCIC
(Rite or Christian Initiation for Adults or Children)
Formation begins in the summer and culminates with
final reception into the Church at Easter.
“Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, until the end of the age.”
(Mt 28: 19-20)
“Since the earliest times, Baptism has been administered to children, for it is a grace and a gift of God that does not presuppose any human merit; children are baptized in the faith of the Church. Entry into Christian life gives access to true freedom.”
(CCC # 1282)
“The fruit of Baptism, or baptismal grace, is a rich reality that includes forgiveness of original sin and all personal sins, birth into the new life by which one becomes an adoptive child of the Father, a member of Christ and a temple of the Holy Spirit. By this very fact the person baptized is incorporated into the Church, the Body of Christ, and made a sharer in the priesthood of Christ.”
(CCC # 1279)
- Parents and godparents are required to participate in a baptismal session prior to the Baptism of the child. Baptismal sessions are held in the Ministry Center on the last Tuesday of the month 6:30-8:00 PM. Contact the Coordinator at 361-5126 ext 255 a month or so in advance.
- The parents have to be registered and practicing members of Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Parish.
- Baptism is celebrated after the 11:00 AM Sunday Eucharistic Liturgy the first Sunday of the month.
- Baptism may be celebrated during the Saturday or Sunday Eucharistic Liturgy upon request and in particular circumstances.
- According to The Code Of Canon Law, one Sponsor, male or female, is sufficient; but there may be two.
- To undertake the role of Sponsor a person must be:
- not less than sixteen years of age
- a Catholic who has been confirmed and has received the Eucharist, and who lives a life which befits the role to be undertaken.
- Note: A baptized person who belongs to a non-Catholic Christian community may be admitted in company with a Catholic sponsor as a witness to the baptism.
- In case of an emergency call the Rectory at 361-5126 ext. 201.