Care for the House of the Lord
This year, we are celebrating the 30th anniversary of the construction of our “new” church, which was formally dedicated by Bishop Joseph M. Breitenbeck and Fr. John Porter on February 2, 1988. I am grateful to earlier generations who faithfully cared for the original church until our community outgrew the little white church across the street, and to the families who sacrificed to create the worship space that we enjoy today. We are blessed with a beautiful place to worship and now it is our time to come together and do our part to maintain our House of the Lord. I am excited to share with you that this year we will be combining the 2018 Catholic Services Appeal (CSA) with a project called Care for the House of the Lord. The project will restore the interior finishes to their original condition with quality, commercial-grade materials that will endure for the next generation. The scope of the project includes:
- Rebuilding the floor under the altar area, which has lost some of its integrity.
- Removing wallpaper on the east and west walls (adjacent to the rose windows) and repairing two structural cracks.
- Repainting the center of the church ceiling, east and west walls, chapel, sacristy, narthex, cry room, usher/scrip room, and restrooms.
- Addressing the main entrance doors and exterior metal lintels (above doors/windows) which show signs of early rust.
- Refinishing of the pew cap rails, backs and ends.
- Reupholster pews, kneelers (qty. 61) and freestanding chairs/kneelers (qty. 80).
- Removal and disposal of old carpeting.
- De-installation of pews, while replacing the carpeting, maintaining integrity of the original floor bolt system.
- Installation of an inductive hearing assistance system (Hearing Loop System).
- Installation of new carpeting in the church, chapel, sacristy, cry room, and usher/scrip room.
- Additional items may be considered as parishioner input is gathered.
The total estimated cost of the project is $233,000, including a 15% contingency.
The Care for the House of the Lord project will be combined with the So Faith May Flourish 2018 CSA Campaign. Essentially, all contributions to the combined effort will be processed as CSA gifts and once our parish CSA goal is achieved, all additional funds will be returned to Assumption to support our parish project. In other words, to secure the future of our church building, you will be asked to include the Care for the House of the Lord project in addition to your annual CSA gift.
Our 2018 CSA Goal $131,631
Care for the House of the Lord Estimate $233,000
Combined Campaign Total $364,631
Thank you for help in the worthy effort to maintain our home here at Assumption.