“Baptism is the best gift we have received. Through it, we belong to God and we possess the joy of salvation.”Pope Francis
“Go, therefore, make disciples of all nations; baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you” (Matthew 28:19-20).
All children are a gift from God and we rejoice with every little one welcomed into God’s family. Baptism is the first Sacrament of Initiation we receive as Catholics, through which we are purified of our sin and adopted into the family of God. Baptism leaves an indelible mark on our soul that designates us as His beloved children. Baptism is what allows us to say with absolute truth and conviction “Our Father…”
We encourage all expecting parents to arrange for their baby’s baptism as soon as possible. Baptism for the children of the age of reason or older is through our Rite of Christian Initiation (RCIA) program. Please contact the parish office to schedule.
For infants and young children
Baptism is celebrated during the weekend liturgies. Please call the parish office to schedule your child’s Baptism.
Please come in and pick up an application at the parish office at least one month prior to your child’s baptism.
For adults and older children
Adults and Non-Catholic children beyond the age of reason enter the church through the formation process known as RCIA or RCIC (Rite or Christian Initiation for Adults or Children) Formation begins in the summer and culminates with final reception into the Church at Easter.
- Parents and godparents are required to participate in a baptismal session prior to the Baptism of the child. Baptismal sessions are held in the Ministry Center on the last Tuesday of the month 6:30-8:00 PM. Contact the Coordinator at 361-5126 ext 255 a month or so in advance.
- The parents have to be registered and practicing members of Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Parish.
- Baptism is celebrated after the 11:00 AM Sunday Eucharistic Liturgy the first Sunday of the month.
- Baptism may be celebrated during the Saturday or Sunday Eucharistic Liturgy upon request and in particular circumstances.
- According to The Code Of Canon Law, one Sponsor, male or female, is sufficient; but there may be two.
- To undertake the role of Sponsor a person must be:
- not less than sixteen years of age
- a Catholic who has been confirmed and has received the Eucharist, and who lives a life which befits the role to be undertaken
- Note: A baptized person who belongs to a non-Catholic Christian community may be admitted in company with a Catholic sponsor as a witness to the baptism
- In case of an emergency call the Rectory at 361-5126 ext. 201.